Skip to main content

Fighting Chance

The most popular sentence in our home is this very simple two worder "Uel, no!!". This sentence could be said in different tones from the lower register until the high register depending on the situation and the mood of the speaker.

Uel is our 1 year old who has started to walk. Once he has gained that confidence he would walk non stop here and there all over the house. As per other kids his age he is so curious about things ranging from electronics like TV, router, laptop to usual ordinary things like mirror, garbage bin (yes, i know what?!), and hanger. To keep it short he touches everything that he wants.

One thing that i realize the more we say no to one and other acts the more he would try to touch it. my wife Gil always says that this is the nature of 1 year old who is curious about everything. Although he might know that it is wrong (he always wiggles his pointer when we say Uel no no no) he keeps doing it as if he has no control over his urge.

I realize this is actually the same struggle I have. Romans 7 mentions this clearly.

"I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. 

But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. 

And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 

But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 

I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin."

So many times I struggle with myself since I love God but there is still the urge to go back to my old habit that wants to satisfy the flesh. One day during quiet time when praying about this the word fighting chance came up. The cross, the sacrifice of Jesus, gives us the fighting chance to be free from bondage of sin, be a better version of us, and fulfill the purpose of our lives.

How I wish after I know Jesus and accept Him as personal Savior He will turn into small Jesus, mini me version of Jesus i might say, with just a snap of finger. Unfortunately it does not work that way. What the cross gives is room for us to breathe. It surrounds us with grace so everytime we fall we have another chance and another chance and another chance to try again. It gives us assurance, anchor, foundation, and identity through what Jesus has done on the cross. Thus our mistakes and failures do not define us. Making mistakes is not about life and death or heaven and hell anymore.

Secondly the cross gives us fighting chance through the Holy Spirit. Once we invite Jesus into our heart we receive the Holy Spirit into our lives. If you are like me we want to love God more and be a better person. This is what Holy Spirit does. He empowers and leads us to be able to say no to our oldselves and bondage of the past (thank you Ps Saula for this truth!!). All we have to do is to ask and obey when He leads.

We can be a better person and we will be a better person. The cross gives us the fighting chance. If you are struggling, keep on going, don't stop. Don't stop coming to God to ask for forgiveness because He is faithful. Nothing that we do will make Him love us less. Don't stop to ask the Holy Spirit to lead you and empower you. Just don't give up, breakthrough is coming..



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is All About The Base

Christmas is coming!! 🎉🎉🎉our family is so excited to have our first ever christmas tree in singapore.. we had a mini tree last time but it does not count as it does not have the feel as much as a tree with proper height.. So we bought this tree last sat and tried to set it up on sun and mon.. what took it so long?!.. the biggest issue was we can't make the tree stood straight as it is supposed to.. several tries it leaned backward, another few tries it was slanted to the right.. so frustrating because of 2 things: 1) our expectation is so high as this is our first christmas tree but we could not make it right 2) we hate to dissapoint kakak gide as he kept talking about decorating the tree.. After several battle scars trying to tighten the base we realized that the issue was with the base itself.. it did not serve as firm foundation for the tree to stand straight and tall.. thus we decided to come back to the shop.. cut the drama short (the store's real opening hours differs

Different Perspectives on The Goodness of God

I am still waiting for my breakthrough.. I believe each one of us still having that area that we are all still waiting for that moment when God just shows up and makes things right.. It could be in our family, career, relationship, ministry, purpose, and so many other areas of our lives.. I thought at first we will be truly sincerely give thanks to God and be sure that God is indeed good when that supernatural moment comes.. This is what I believe until I received totally different perspectives recently.. First and foremost God has shown me that His goodness could not be measured by only the mega, big, major things like miracles, supernatural breakthroughs, or unexpected blessings.. It is always us who somehow put a mental barrier that only when this or that happens I could praise God for His goodness.. Only then I can give thanks to God with the right heart attitude.. Only then I would recognize how good God is.. This heart posture kills joy, peace, and hope since it creates lies that

Reflection on Hunger

Great truth on hunger from Ps @saulafh for the past few weeks at@vfcsg.. been reflecting on the series with below takeaways from where i stand now: 1) hunger for the right things brings the right atmosphere - if we are hungry for God and the things of God we will be filled with Him and all things that reflect who He is - this means it will bring peace, joy, hope, faith into our lives - if we are angry, disappointed, unhappy maybe because we are chasing the wrong things to fill our deepest hunger which we might realize or not realize it always has to do with our Creator? - i could imagine if i am hungry for kfc and for some whatever reasons i have to settle for salad, it will leave me with some frustration, disappointment there that could only be fixed with having kfc to have my true fulfillment.. and bring joy and peace into my life :) :) :) 2) joyful, peaceful, faithful, hopeful people attracts - first of all it will attract people with the same atmosphere.. this will make the right a